Root Canals Treatment
Occasionally pain springs in your mind at the mention of a root canal treatment. What you don’t realize is that this is a pain-relieving procedure. Root canal therapy removes the infection from within a tooth, relieving you of pain, and saves the tooth from future diseases.
If you experience sharp pains in your tooth/teeth with inflammation, Dental Experts® recommend a root canal treatment in Hutto. It’s a cheaper option than having a tooth crowning or grafting.
What is Root Canal Therapy?
A “root canal” refers to a hollow section inside the tooth that consists of the pulp. The pulp hosts nerve tissue, blood vessels, and other tooth cells. Its purpose is to nourish the tooth surrounding and the tooth itself.
When you have tooth decay, leading to a tooth cavity, the enamel and the crown are breached. If the infection is left untreated, it goes into the root and affects the nerve tissue, pulp, hence a root canal infection. It has a painful sensation because the nerves are affected directly.
You will need one or more visits to an endodontist for a root canal treatment in Hutto, TX. The degree of the root canal infection determines the depth of the procedure to be undertaken.
When to get a root canal treatment
An injury on the pulp leaves it deceased or injured, and since it can’t repair itself, the tissue eventually dies. Again if there’s a deep tooth cavity, a loose filling, or an opening through the tooth to the root pulp, bacteria can get in. The bacteria gradually destroys the pulp and can cause a bone infection.
With long periods of ignorance, the jawbone is destroyed, and ligaments weakened, leading to a loose tooth. The tooth then becomes sensitive to very high temperatures. Chewing and drinking become quite painful. Some patients even experience constant throbbing pain.
In this instance, we recommend getting a root canal treatment near you. If the pain is too much, you can opt for a tooth extraction. It is, however, essential to maintain the original tooth by all means possible.
Removing a tooth leaves the adjacent teeth weak and loose. When the bone is utterly infected due to extensive decay or gum disease, an extraction is unavoidable.
Procedure for a root canal treatment in Hutto, TX
Below is are the procedural stages for a root canal:
- The specialist dentist (endodontist) examines the infected tooth, usually by X-ray. Anesthetic is administered to numb the tooth area. A rubber dam, which is a protective covering, is then placed around the damaged tooth to protect the entire mouth.
- Using surgical tools, the endodontist pits the top of the mouth to access the delicate tissues inside. The infected pulp is then removed from the chamber and the root canal.
- The endodontist now cleans the root canals and shapes them to create space for the incoming filling. It also gives more room for the post to provide additional tooth support.
- A special rubber-like material, namely gutta-percha, is then filled in the cleared cavity. To seal the gutta-percha inside the tooth, the dentist places an adhesive on top of the filling.
- Finally, to safeguard the healing interior, the endodontist places an artificial filling on the tooth crest.
After the procedure, we advise that you go back for a root canal treatment near you to remove the temporary filling. In this appointment, the dentist either lays in a permanent crown or any other permanent tooth restoration. Once the treatment is complete, you’re good to go. Healthy teeth functioning should not be painful at all.
It’s possible for new infections to arise after a root canal, which can lead to further complications. Among the probable reasons include:
- An undetected extra root canal in the tooth might be left uncleaned, causing pain subsequently
- Unnoticed crack in the root
- Defective restoration might have left space for bacteria to get in and re-contaminate the area
- Accidental damage by a dental instrument on the surrounding tissue
- A high-unsmoothed temporary filling can cause a harder bite on that spot making it sore
Generally, the sensitivity and pain after a root canal should subside in a few days. Our dentists recommend calling the endodontist for evaluation if the pain is unrelieved.
To prevent gum disease, decay, and other dental infections, we advise that you regularly brush your teeth before bedtime, and once again during the day. Use a suitable toothbrush with fluorine-based toothpaste.
Frequently have dental check-ups and floss your teeth to clean in between and prevent plaque build-up. Finally, follow healthy diets and avoid sugary foods and drinks.
Frequently root canal treatments in Hutto successfully save infected teeth. Advanced technologies and anesthetics have ensured that endodontic treatment is as comfortable and safe as possible. People experiencing severe, lasting pain should visit an endodontist for dental check-ups.